Broken Reference to SharePoint 2010 Content Database


We got a nice surprise right before leaving for the Easter holiday. One of our web applications stopped working and it was sending all the users to the custom error page.

Checking the event viewer and the ULS logs we could identify this error message:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
Date:          4/5/2012 4:29:46 PM
Event ID:      1309
Task Category: Web Event
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      SERVERNAME
Description:
Event code: 3005
Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
Event time: 4/5/2012 4:29:46 PM
Event time (UTC): 4/5/2012 9:29:46 PM
Event ID: e14426efea4a44bb9aa16d14ea767445
Event sequence: 57
Event occurrence: 21
Event detail code: 0

Application information:
Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1726127450/ROOT-1-129781347974963750
Trust level: WSS_Minimal
Application Virtual Path: /
Application Path:
E:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\WEBAPPNAME\
Machine name: SERVERNAME

Process information:
Process ID: 5064
Process name: w3wp.exe
Account name:DOMAIN\APPLICATIONPOOLACCOUNT

Exception information:
Exception type: NullReferenceException
Exception message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Request information:
Request URL: http://WEBAPPURL/Pages/Error.aspx
Request path: /Pages/Error.aspx
User host address: 10.0.0.2
User:
Is authenticated: False
Authentication Type:
Thread account name: DOMAIN\APPLICATIONPOOLACCOUNT

Thread information:
Thread ID: 8
Thread account name: DOMAIN\APPLICATIONPOOLACCOUNT
Is impersonating: True
Stack trace:    at
Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite.PreinitializeServer(SPRequest request)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.InitializeSPRequest()
at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SPControl.EnsureSPWebRequest(SPWeb web)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SPControl.SPWebEnsureSPControl(HttpContext
context)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPRequestModule.GetContextWeb(HttpContext
context)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPRequestModule.PostResolveRequestCacheHandler(Object
oSender, EventArgs ea)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step,
Boolean& completedSynchronously)

I’ve seen this same error message before when we restored a content database backup and got an error navigating on the site . I tried to resolve it applying the same steps but it didn’t work.

Checking further the issue we found out this error message on the Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite.PreinitializeServer method has a relationship with the database connection. On Central Admin, under Application Management > Manage Content Databases I checked the content database for this web application and I couldn’t find it, there was no content database attached to the web application. It was a huge surprise. Then checking for the same content database on Upgrade and Migration > Review database status screen I was able to find. I tried to remove it from the web application but it was throwing an “object reference is null” exception.

We then went to the lower level attempts on solving and started trying Powrshell and stsadm scripts. We tried  to run the following commands:

  • remove-spcontentdatabase -identity “database name”
  • test-spcontentdatabase -name “database name” -webapplication “web application url”
  • stsadm -o deletecontentdb -databasename “database name”
  • stsadm -o addcontetdb -databasename “database name”
  • mount-spcontentdatabase -name “database name” -webapplication “web application url”
  • dismount-spcontentdatabase -identity “database name”

None of them worked.

In order to get more information about the content database we ran the following commands:
$db =  Get-SPDatabase | where {$_.Name -eq “database name”}
Then we printed out the $db object and got an output like this:

Id                                : 1c5db325-b77f-4f18-a7a1-664ca0d05249
Name                         : content database name
WebApplication    :
Server                       : database server name
CurrentSiteCount : 1

The WebApplication property was empty, and checking the other content databases we could see a value like “SPWebApplication name=web application name”.

Since this was a PROD issue we called Microsoft support and got a SharePoint Engineer to handle it. After a little research on the servers, lot of Powershell commands we got the confirmation of what was wrong. The content database was recognized by SharePoint as part of the farm but it wasn’t recognized as a content database. It was returned when we ran the get-spdatabase Powershell cmdlet,  but it wasn’t returned when we ran the get-spcontentdatabase Powershell cmdlet.

The solution for this issue was:

Run a Powershell script to get and deleter the content database:
$db =  Get-SPDatabase | where {$_.Name -eq “database name”}

$db.delete()

Actually, it doesn’t delete the database itself but removes all references SharePoint has to it.

Then we attached the content database back to the web application using Central Admin > Application Management > Manage Content Databases page.

It worked liked a charm and everybody could go have fun and enjoy their Easter holiday…..a few hours late of course. lol.

See you,

Amadeu.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: